The Knyghton Charity
The Knyghton Charity is a parochial charity, instituted in 1629 by the will of Sir Thomas Knyghton, a rector of the parish (whose brass can still be seen in the church). Early records show that, in the days before state benefits, needy parishioners were helped with food and fuel and, ultimately, provided with shrouds for their burial.
Today, the charity’s purpose is to relieve instances of need, hardship or distress by providing financial assistance where deemed necessary. The charity still helps some senior citizens – it donates an annual Christmas box and makes a one-off contribution to fuel costs, and helps bridge any gap between private insurance, social services and funeral costs.
Anyone struggling with extra costs through ill-health or disablement can apply for assistance. However, the charity also helps young people, for example by assisting with the purchase of tools for apprentices and books for students, and helping with subsistence for young people attending an approved training course or recognised educational project.
As well as making grants to individuals, the charity can donate to organisations, especially where this is for the good of the community.